But, since we're all still exhausted and struggling to focus, I found myself reading a bunch of travel articles.
Instead of sharing them all over Facebook and Twitter, figured I'd round them up for you here.
1. Awesomeness in Cairns from Hostel Life. It's not where I stayed, or what I did there, but I have a love of Cairns. I had flown in from New Zealand by way of Sydney and honestly can't remember the name of the hostel I stayed in, but I'm sure I have a photo of it or name of it somewhere. I headed straight out to the Great Barrier Reef.
|Great Barrier Reef|
That's where I got one of the worst sunburns of my life, despite loads of sunscreen. I also had a run in with a shark, that I later learned could have killed me. When I first saw it, I inhaled so quickly I swallowed a lot of water, as I was snorkeling. But once I could breath again, I started following it to get a picture with my handy dandy underwater camera. Genius, I know. But I have that picture somewhere. The guys on the boat said business was up thanks to the movie Finding Nemo. They were irritated by it, especially when a large group of oblivious tourists asked if they would see Nemo on the reef. But, when I got to the Sydney Aquarium a week or so later, Nemo was their main marketing campaign. Craziness.
2. Running abroad. Something I want to do soon. My friend Ally ran her first half-marathon in Rome this year and I'm determined to do some of the races in a variety of places.
3. Missoula! One of my favorite places in Montana made a Top 10 list for winter vacations. Have no doubt, I'll be back soon.
4. Less about travel than about a great reporter using his pen and social media to change the world, one story at a time.
5. Fun story about Montana wines from my new friend at the local paper. We're already planning a Montana wine tasting for the next time I'm back.