Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Wander Wednesday

These are moai, the human figures carved by the Rapa Nui people on Easter Island, off the coast of Chile, from 1250 to 1500. Many are still at the main quarry, but hundreds were moved and set on stone platforms around the island's perimeter. I've always seen photos or video of these and been intrigued and well, I'm going. Next week.

Lots of changes are coming and I've noticed that since the first time I up and left the country, I now think much more about it. Guess it's that getting older and wiser thing, but is it really wiser not to travel in favor of a "normal" life? I don't think so.

This trip is moving fast. I booked a flight today, for Monday. I'm not giving myself time to reason myself out of it. I used to jump at any chance to book a flight and explore and I've noticed this hesitation creep in somewhere along the way and I don't like it one bit.

The Chinese philosopher Lao-tzu (604 BC-531 BC) said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I've also been reading a lot lately about non-profit start ups since I've been working on an idea for almost two years now and a very wise man says in his emails every week essentially, "What are you waiting for!?"

Yesterday, I told a friend about this, and a few other things going on, and he joked that he wasn't surprised. He said it's the Art of Nonconformity, in reference to a book I read two years ago and loved. I loaned it to my friend and he agrees, it's great. Reading that book helped me shape the idea for my nonprofit, get out of an awful job I had at the time and go for it. I refer back to it regularly and follow the author, Chris Guillebeau, on Facebook for constant reminders and inspiration to find the things you love, go after dreams and not let fear or "the norm" hold you back. If you're not ready to jump in or buy the book, read what he calls his manifesto and be amazed. For some, it will have little to no impact. To other, like me, primed for change and just needing one last kick, it qualifies as life changing.

Prepare yourselves, friends, for some epic blog updates next week, I am stoked! The plan is arriving in Santiago, jumping to Easter Island, taking a 3-day ferry through Patagonia to the bottom of the continent to do a day of horseback riding through Patagonia and then flying back for a life very much changed.

Stay tuned sports fans, things are getting really interesting!

1 comment:

  1. I admire your moxie! Take some peppermint with you!

    ReplyDelete